Support for Loop clip hardware ended on 1 March 2023
We wrote to Loop clip users in November and again in February to give notice that Loop hardware accounts would close on 1 March 2023.
Why has support for Loop clip hardware been withdrawn?
We stopped manufacturing Loop hardware and withdrew it from sale in 2021. The cause was a global shortage of key components that was unlikely to improve quickly.
Loop hardware ran on a different part of our system to our smart meter product. We invited most Loop hardware users to switch to our new Loop smart meter app. This went well and hardware accounts represented less than 0.5% of our total users (November 2022).
Supporting the hardware platform unfortunately required a disproportionate amount of development resource. As a very small team sometimes we have to make difficult prioritisations.
Can I still use Loop?
If you have a smart meter you can use our smart meter app and:
- You can join our Turn Down and Save rewards scheme and could save £100 or more over the winter
- You get both gas and electricity usage and costs
- It’s free!
- 100% accuracy
- Access to all the latest features including upgraded energy analysis via email
- Smart meters store up to 13 months of data and we can access this from Day 1. This means easy comparisons by day, week, month or year right from the start. It also means instant solar simulations and accurate solar self-sufficiency calculations.
If you don’t have a smart meter, there are many reasons to get one:
- It's free to upgrade to a smart meter and most utilities can install within a few weeks
- Automatic meter reads mean accurate billing from your utility. This avoids the risk of large balances building up, a real risk with energy prices as high as they are
- Live energy readings via the in-home display
- Access to the latest, innovative smart tariffs
- Compatibility with Loop!
Setting up a Loop smart meter account
It takes less than 5 minutes and you don’t need any information from your meter.
- Visit www.loophome.app/signup and follow on-screen instructions.
- You can find lots of guidance on setting up a Loop smart meter account in this section of the Knowledge Base.
- Once your new smart meter account is set up, simply log in to the normal Loop app with your new login details.
- NB. If you create a smart meter account before April 2023 you may need to register with a different email address to that used for your clip account (as accounts will be disabled initially, then deleted)
- Top Tip: If you use Gmail, you can simply add “+1” before the @ sign with your normal email during sign-up without needing to set up a new email account. E.g. Imagine your current Loop email address is email@example.com. You can register your new smart account with firstname.lastname@example.org without needing to set up a new account. Gmail will send any emails addressed to email@example.com to your original account. You can read more about it here.
Recycling Loop hardware devices
There is no personal information held on the device, only anonymous energy usage measured in the last month of service.
Please check local guidelines on recycling. In many areas you can recycle small electronic items at the kerbside. Your local recycling centre can also dispose of it under the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) directive.
We hope you’ll continue your journey with Loop. We’re growing fast and every household we help to control their energy use is also reducing their impact on the environment. We’re a purpose-led organisation and that’s exactly why we’re here. On average our users reduce their electricity usage by 16% and their gas usage by 10% so why not use this opportunity to take a fresh look at your energy use.
If you have any further questions about the closure of clip hardware support, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.